Almond, Cherry and Creme Fraiche Roulade
For the Sponge
80 grams almond meal
4 large eggs (whites and yolks separated)
130 grams coconut sugar
2 tablespoons hot water
80 grams self-raising flour
small pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
20 grams icing sugar
For the filling
300 pitted fresh cherries
250g creme fraiche
250ml thickened cream
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
50g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat your oven to 200C. Grease a shallow baking tray (30cmx35cm) and line with baking paper.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attached. Whisk for around 3 minutes, until the mixture is thick, glossy and pale in colour. Pour in the hot water and gently fold through the almond meal and almond extract.
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and then sift again into the the yolk mixture. All the sifting helps to add lightness and air to the sponge.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl of your electric mixer until soft peaks form. Then fold through a third of the almond mix at a time until combined. Gently pour the batter onto the baking tray, easing it with a palate knife to the edges. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Sift over half of the icing sugar onto the sponge and cover with a clean tea towel. Flip the sponge over so that the tea towel is now on the bottom and the baking paper is on the top. Peel away the paper and dust with the rest of the icing sugar. With the short end of the sponge facing you, roll, along with the tea towel into a log and allow to sit while you make the filling (rolling like this makes the cake more malleable and prevents it from cracking).
- To make the filling, place the thickened cream in the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attached and whip until soft peaks form. Add the icing sugar, creme fraiche and vanilla and continue to whisk until incorporated and fluffy, careful to not over whip.
- Unroll the sponge and using a palate knife, spread the creme evenly over cake, leaving a 2cm gap at one of the short ends. Sprinkle over the cherries, pushing them down gently into the creme. Roll the sponge again, leaving the the 2cm gap furtherest away from you. Transfer to your favourite serving plate and dust with a little extra icing sugar.